Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Skirty Dozen

Sometimes I like big, involved projects that challenge me and expand my skills.  Other times, I prefer quick and easy.  These twelve skirts (I like to call them the skirty dozen*) fall soundly into the second category.

 
Anyone can make an elastic waist dirndl skirt - all you need is a bit of fabric, some wide elastic and about an hour.  To make your own:

  1. Find a piece of pretty fabric.  Make sure its width is large enough to go around your hips with some wiggle room.  Let's say I am using 50" fabric - that will give me around 10" of ease.
  2. Determine the length you would like your skirt (for me, I usually like 22").  Add 2" to that measurement (24" it is).
  3. So, I cut out a piece of fabric that is 50" by 24" and stitch up the selvedge side to make a big tube.
  4. Cut a piece of elastic (I use 2" wide elastic) that is comfortable on your waist.  Attach the cut ends together to make a tube.
  5. Gather the fabric tube onto the elastic tube.  I pin the skirt to the elastic in quarters.  Then, I stretch the elastic as I serge the fabric onto it, one quarter of the tube at a time.
  6. Finish the bottom with a 2" hem.
  7. Wear and enjoy.
All the skirty dozen are made with light weight fabrics (like rayon and linen) and are therefore, great for the warmer weather. However, because of the darker colours of some of the fabrics, those skirts can be worn with tights and boots in the winter too.  So, many of these skirts can serve my wardrobe needs year round.

Here's one example in action.  The skirt is made from a coral/red/grey/black print rayon woven that Fabric Mart was offering a while back.  The coral ruffle front tank top is from Land's End and the black fulled wool blazer is so old I can't remember where I got it.  I have on black textured tights and pair of black leather boots to cozy things up.

Over the next while, I'll post each skirt as I have styled it for work and/or play.




* So, how many of you caught my awesome play on words?

No comments:

Post a Comment